#1 Rishi De-Kayne

Hi, I’m Rishi and having decided to start PhDetails I thought it’s probably a good idea to give you my PhDetails first! I hope that the blog will become a collection of stories showing the diversity of people studying biology-related PhDs. Part of my motivation for starting this is that I’m curious about how different people got into their PhD but also what currently drives them in their scientific career and what they think about their future in academia. I also hope to capture the personality of each person because I think it’s all too easy to become defined by your project in the academic atmosphere. I remember that especially when applying for PhDs I found the lack of relatability in some PhD students to be a little scary and off-putting and want PhDetails to reflect the little details that make each PhD project and student unique.

Well let’s start by talking about completely unscientific stuff. Favourite band/musical artist pre 1980?
Fleetwood Mac

Favourite band/musical artist post 1980?
Ideally I’d have one per genre and even then it would be a struggle, but I’ll go with Bon Iver

Favourite movie?
There are way too many options, I think for a long time I would have said Superbad which I still find hilarious but I recently watched Get Out and for obviously different reasons, I cannot stop thinking about it (if you’ve not seen it go and watch it right now!).

Where do you study and who are your supervisors?
I’m doing my PhD in Switzerland and I’m based at EAWAG and the University of Bern and my supervisors are Philine Feulner and Ole Seehausen

What year of your phd are you in?
2nd year

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long?
The Swiss National Science foundation funds my project and I currently have 3 years funding.

Do you have any publications – if so where?
I wrote a short commentary on a review paper with my supervisor, which was published in the Journal of Evolutionary Biology, and I recently got the project I did as part of my master’s thesis published in New Phytologist you can check it out here.

Did you do a masters - was it about?
Yes, I did a Masters of Research (MRes) in Tropical Forest Ecology at Imperial College London and my project was investigating the microbiome of Howea palm trees to determine whether the soil/root microbiome is species-specific, and whether it may have played a role in speciation.

How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for?
I applied for 3, I think I was mostly looking for a study system I could get excited about and the opportunity to work with a relatively young supervisor who could teach me a lot. I also wanted to be in a group with a collaborative atmosphere since this, from experience, makes a big difference when working under pressure – I have learned a lot from other people at every stage of my studies.

What is the best fieldwork you have ever done and what made it great?
I was lucky enough to work twice on Lord Howe Island 600km off the east coast of Australia setting up reciprocal transplant experiments and collecting microbiome samples for Howea palm trees. It is undoubtedly one of the most spectacular places I have ever been too and with very few tourists (only <400 at a time on the 15km2 island) and subtropical weather it has an ideal fieldwork atmosphere for me. The first time I went to Lord Howe was on my own and that proved challenging for many reasons but the second time I went with the post-doc in my group - Owen Osborne, and that made the decision making, fieldwork and down-time much more enjoyable! The fieldwork varied hugely as well which I think is also nice. On my first visit a large part of my time was spent collecting palm seeds with local people who have climbed the palms their whole lives to collect seeds commerically. On my first trip I also set up a large reciprocal transplant experiment involving the planting of over 10,000 palm seeds in different soil types. When I went back I also spent time collecting soil and root samples to later analyse what fungi and bacteria are associated with the palm trees. In my down time I was able to swim and snorkel in the lagoon on the island and to explore the island itself. I also had the incredible opportunity to be shown around by the island’s resident naturalist Ian Hutton including a hike up Mt. Gower, one of the two peaks on the island (on the right in the picture below). 

Lord Howe Island lagoon - looking south along the island

What is the most bodged piece of equipment you have had to use during fieldwork – did it work?
Trying to work out how to carry out microbial fieldwork in the most sterile way brought up a load of issues. We ended up collecting our soil and root samples using this device our local collaborator on Lord Howe called a ‘Peter Lever’. It was basically a bit of scaffolding hammered flat on one end into a sort of narrow, sharp spade. It did the job for sure and I think it was much easier to disinfect with bleach in-between samples than a full-size shovel!

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now?
Think hard about the type of supervision that works for you and try to find out as much about the supervision style of the people you are applying with to find a good match.

What supervisor traits are important to you?
I think a mutual understanding of what is doable on different time frames is really important. My current supervisor does plenty of bioinformatics herself so understands the rough time frames we are talking about with various aspects of my project meaning I never feel that something unreasonable is being asked of me.

What do you think are the worst supervisor traits?
I would hate to work with someone who I felt I couldn’t be honest with – for example giving my honest opinions about types of analyses or how long things will take. I think I would also struggle to work for someone who didn’t value me to some extent and only cared about the research output.

In one sentence what is your PhD about?
I am interested in finding out about the genomic basis of adaptation and speciation in Swiss alpine whitefish and at the moment I’m producing some genomic resources for them, a linkage map and a genome.

What has been your academic highlight of the last year?
Getting my masters research published, for sure. It made me realise that although the rewards in science are quite spaced out they are worth the struggle and taught me a lot about how great collaboration can be – I couldn’t have done it without the continued help of my supervisor and the post-doc, Owen, working in my group at the time.

Which academic idol have you met?
Dolph Schluter

Which academic idol would you most like to meet?
Patrik Nosil

Do you have a favourite paper?
There are many papers in my current topic which I really like, but I distinctly remember James Estes’ 2011 Science paper ‘Trophic Downgrading of Planet Earth’ changing the way I thought about anthropogenic impacts on the environment. I was in my first year of my Imperial Biology BSc and I think reading that paper as part of my Ecology and Evolution course has something to do with the fact I’m still doing science. It really struck a nerve!

What has been your favourite conference so far – why?
In January of this year (2018) I went to the PopGroup conference which was held in Bristol. It’s a UK-based conference primarily about population genetics and was brilliant. It was great for a few reasons: it’s quite a narrow topic, for me this made the whole experience great since you’re really in a population genetics bubble for the four days and therefore take much more in – luckily there was no waiting through loads of uninteresting off-topic talks. It’s quite small, ~200 people, and over 4 days this was definitely a small enough group to get to chat to most people you wanted to as well as going for drinks and dinner with a load of new people. The timing is also ideal since I go back to the UK for Christmas so I will try to make it my yearly conference.

What hours do you typically work?
I generally keep office hours ~10 till 4/5 with a couple more hours work in the evening – maybe reading papers.

What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your phd?
I really enjoy cycling and have been so lucky since moving to Switzerland for such incredible roads – I’m counting down the days until spring when I can get back out on the bike. I also boulder and want to sport climb a bit more and try to do this a couple of times a week. I save the weekends for visiting different cafes in Luzern and reading.

If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your phd what would you wish for?
It sounds strange but I’d love to be able to identify whitefish to species level easily. Part of my difficulty in my PhD has been having a poor eye for species identification with many whitefish species very difficult to identify from one another. It’s obvious how this can mess up all sorts of experimental design by including individuals with incorrect species assignment so yeah, knowing which fish is which species would be great!

What would be your dream job?
Easy, some kind of naturalist…yeah you’re right, I absolutely want to be David Attenborough.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully in a post-doc position in a really academically stimulating, collaborative, group.

One word to sum up your future in academia:
Determined

What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year?
Firstly, I really want to climb harder by the end of 2018. But more broadly I want to have more mini adventures like traveling to places in Switzerland I’ve never been and hiking as much as possible.

Comments