#14 Adam Ciezarek

This weeks PhDetails come from Adam Ciezarek who tops our 'most advanced PhD student' list having just handed his thesis in! I'm excited about this weeks interview because Adam is undoubtedly one of the reasons I'm still in academia having introduced me to computational genetics. We first met when I also worked in the Savolainen lab at Imperial and Adam was essentially my supervisor on my BSc undergrad project on sharks and later a lab-mate during my masters project. He introduced me to working on a computer cluster and ultimately all of the cool things you can do to analyse genetic data. Adams enthusiasm for studying fish, especially tuna and sharks came across instantly and he was a great mentor, passing on his knowledge and being incredibly patient whilst I got to grips with basic programming. I'm very happy for Adam that he has now submitted (since it seems like such an unachievable, distant goal for many of us) but still pestered him to share his PhDetails so here it is, another fishy PhDetails from Silwood Park - congrats Adam!



Well let’s start of talking completely unscientific stuff. Favourite band/musical artist pre 1980?
I am pretty sure I have said something different every time I have been asked this, I’ll say Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Favourite band/musical artist post 1980?
Modest Mouse. I know how much Rishi likes them too. (Rishi: It pains me to say it but I have come around to quite liking Modest Mouse... or maybe its the result of some kind of Stockholm syndrome after sharing an office with you for two years)
Favourite movie?
The Big Lebowski.

Where do you study and who is/are your supervisor(s)?
I am at Imperial College London, with Vincent Savolainen as my supervisor.

What year of your PhD are you in?
I have just handed my thesis in half way through my 4th year.

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long?
I was with BBSRC, they gave me money for one year during the masters and three years of PhD.

Do you have any publications – if so where?
I have one from my PhD in Genome Biology and Evolution, and one I am a co-author on one in BMC Evolutionary Biology.

Did you do a masters - was it about?
I actually ended up doing two. The first was in Aquatic Biology and Resource Management at Exeter. Following this, I got a 1+3 masters + PhD studentship at Imperial, so I also did a course in Biodiversity, Informatics and Genomics.

What is the best fieldwork you have ever done and what made it great?
During my first masters I spent two weeks in the middle of the North Sea with CEFAS mapping the seafloor. It was great towing a camera behind the boat and watching live footage of all the life on the seabed. At night the sea was only lit up by the oil rigs, which looked quite surreal.

How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for?
It seems like a long time ago now but probably 6-7. I was looking for anything relating to fish biology or fisheries management. 

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now?
Be patient and open minded, PhDs can be highly competitive so you might have to apply for a few before you get one.

What supervisor traits are important to you?
I think it is important for the supervisor to be trusting and allow the student to independently develop and work on their own ideas, offering guidance and support as needed.

What do you think are the worst supervisor traits?
Micromanagement would be pretty unbearable.

In one sentence what is your PhD about?
The genomic basis of endothermy in tuna and lamnid sharks.

What has been your academic highlight of the last year?
Without a doubt handing in my thesis, that was a great feeling.


What essential tool hardware/software could you not do your PhD without?
The High Performance Computing Cluster at Imperial was invaluable.

Which academic idol/scientist have you met?
A bit cheesy to say a collaborator but I had read a tonne of Barbara Block’s papers before working with her. I like how she has managed to link physiology, genetics and ecology to really try and understand the lives of endothermic fish.

Which academic idol/scientist would you most like to meet?
If we could go back in time I would love to meet someone who recorded life in the sea hundreds of years ago, like Adriaen Coenen, who documented Dutch fish and marine mammals in the 1500s. The seas then sound very different, with large fish which were previously common having now disappeared. The amount of life in pre-industrial European seas would have been incredible.

Do you have a favourite paper?
One which really influenced my research was Pease et al (2016), where they showed how phylogenomic data can be used to assess how hybridisation, selection on standing variation and de novo mutation can combine to drive phenotypic diversification. I also like Watanabe et al (2015), where they use tagging data from loads of different fish around the world to show that endothermic fish swim faster and migrate further than cold-blooded fish.   

What has been your favourite conference so far – why?
I have only presented at one – the Young Systematists Forum at the Natural History Museum, so that wins by default.

What hours do you typically work?
On average probably 9-5 or 10-6 but I am always flexible with this.

How often do you meet with your supervisor?
We have lab meetings almost every week, but one on one probably every month or so, unless we are writing a paper or there is something we are working on.

What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your phd?
I try and stay active and spend time outdoors walking, running and cycling. I think it’s really important not to let the PhD consume your life and have weekends off as much as possible.

If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your phd what would you wish for?
As few corrections as possible after the viva.

Do you have a favourite organism?
My main study organism, bluefin tuna. They break many rules, being able to migrate thousands of miles between tropical and sub-polar seas and dive from the surface into ice-cold water over 1km deep. When you see it for yourself their muscular power and the speed they can swim is amazing. It is great to see that Atlantic bluefin tuna have been returning to British waters the past few years, although worldwide their conservation outlook is not so rosy. 

One word to sum up your future in academia:
Unclear

What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year?
Finding my next position and starting the next chapter of my life.




Comments