#30 Naomi Cox


This weeks PhDetails is with Naomi Cox who studies at the University of Sheffield. Before her PhD Naomi did her MBiolSci in Genetics at the University of Sheffield working in plant science. Her PhD is funded by BBSRC iCASE and involves a collaboration with IRRI (in the Philippines) studying rice leaf development in Animal and Plant Sciences also at Sheffield. You can find Naomi on twitter @naomicox_12!

Well let’s start of talking about completely unscientific stuff: What is your favourite band/musical artist pre 1980?
Well that’s difficult! Thinking just pre-1980 probably The Doors, and I still listen to them now.

Favourite band/musical artist post 1980?
Easy, Billy Talent have been my favourite band since I first heard them. But recently I’ve also been listening to a lot of Of Monsters and Men, and the ‘Pride’ soundtrack on a loop.

Favourite movie?
Probably Pride, I’ve watched it countless times and it still makes me cry. I’m also a big Studio Ghibli fan.

Where do you study and who is/are your supervisors?
I’m doing my PhD at the University of Sheffield with Prof. Andy Fleming and Dr Lisa Smith. I also have an ‘external’ supervisor, Paul Quick at IRRI (the International Rice Research Institute in the Philippines), but I haven’t met him yet.

What year of your PhD are you in?
I’ve just started my third year.

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long?
I’m funded by the BBSRC, which thankfully is for four years. Honestly I would have had to think twice about accepting a PhD that didn’t fund me for the entire duration of when I’m expected to work.

Do you have any publications – if so where?
None yet! I work on a) rice and b) molecular biology and both of these things take a long time. I’m hopeful that there’ll be one in a few years though!

Did you do a masters – where was it and was it about?
My undergraduate degree, also at Sheffield, offered the option of an integrated masters. This was research-based, and a great opportunity to spend around 6 months in the lab without having to apply for separate funding for a Masters degree, which I couldn’t have afforded. I was working on sugar signalling in Arabidopsis (the model plant), and counting many, many cells.

Do you do fieldwork? What is the best fieldwork you have ever done and what made it great?
Not yet! My project is basically completely lab-based, however I will be spending around 3 months working in the Philippines (watch this space for an update!!)

What are the best and worst bits about your labwork?
The vast majority of my project is labwork. For me, the best part is when you apply a new technique or idea that you had to your project and it *actually works*! The worst part is that, especially with molecular biology, it fails, a lot of the time, for seemingly no reason, and it can get extremely disheartening when there’s no logical reason *why*.

How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for?
I applied for four PhDs total. I knew I enjoyed molecular biology, and that I wanted to learn computational skills alongside it, and that I wanted to stay in the North or move to Scotland. I also knew I wanted to do a more “applied” PhD (which in hindsight meant “in a crop”), because I would really like to make a positive difference in the world.

What is the most bodged piece of equipment you have had to use during field/labwork – did it work?
I guess the piece that guesses the most giggles from my colleagues is my “hydroponics system” for my rice. I made it myself (with help from the lovely Hannah in my lab) from Wham storage boxes from Amazon, pipette tip lids and polystyrene rectangles with holes cut out. And tape! The most important piece of science equipment sometimes.
(In my defence, it works and it’s a *super* cost efficient way of doing things!)

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now?
Find a good supervisor! In all likelihood, the PhD project set out before you apply and the PhD project you submit won’t be the same, and the driving force behind what you research is you. Having a good supervisor and being in a good lab is so important to your enjoyment, success and mental health during your PhD.

How often do you meet with your supervisor(s)?
I tend to have a “proper” sit-down meeting every 6 weeks – 2 months, which is a bit longer that most people in my lab but also my plants take a bit longer to grow. However, both my supervisors have an open door policy (which I definitely utilise!), and both have weekly lab meetings so I can always talk to them if I need to.

What supervisor traits are important to you?
The ability to listen is hugely important. I have two incredible supervisors who see me as a person with hopes and dreams and problems outside of my PhD. I also appreciate being given the freedom to make my own decisions and my own mistakes – because you learn a lot from mistakes! They’re both always willing to talk through problems though.

What do you think are the worst supervisor traits?
This is not something I experience, but I wouldn’t deal well with being micromanaged. Also many of my friends’ supervisors expect their PhDs to be their entire life at the expense of everything else, which I don’t think is healthy or something I could cope with.

In one sentence what is your PhD about?
If we know more about rice leaves, will we be able to GM them better??



What has been your academic highlight of the last year?
Honestly, when I had a meeting with an academic who is currently working at IRRI who said my approach was “interesting”. Sometimes talking to someone external to your project can really revitalise your interest in it.

Have you had an academic low-point of the last year – if so what happened?
Does the whole of my second year count? I’ve had a lot of scientific setbacks combined with some life setbacks which made for a severe case of the second year blues! It’s been nice springing back into action though.

Which academic idol/scientist have you met?
I guess I have two. Julie Gray, who’s a professor at my University, I’ve admired since I started my undergraduate degree, and now actually interact with occasionally. I’ve also met Tammy Sage, who was incredible to talk to, and so helpful.

Which academic idol/scientist would you most like to meet?
I would have loved to have met Norman Borlaug, because he genuinely changed the world forever. Now I’d be hugely interested to meet any scientists who work in local communities now to talk more about how we can use science to make a difference in the world.

Do you have a favourite paper?
I quite enjoyed that paper where they taught bees to play football

What has been your favourite conference so far – why?
I’ve actually never been to a conference! I always worry that I don’t have enough data to show. I’m off to the PEPG symposium in May though, which I’m really looking forward to.

What hours do you typically work?
I tend to do 9-5 weekdays unless I *have* to work evenings or weekends due to plant growth times – much of my work has a 2-3 day window where it has to be done, and if that falls on a Saturday…I’m trying very hard to keep the PhD as a working hours only thing though.

How do you avoid procrastinating?
Organisation is a strong suit of mine. I have a planning notebook and every day I make a checklist of what needs to get done (which is extra helpful because small sense of achievement!). Importantly (I think) I then am free to do whatever I want with the rest of my day. There’s always one more science thing to do so it’s helpful to compartmentalise.

What motivates you in your day to day PhD life?
Being able to have the following conversation:
THEM: “Is it Miss or Mrs?”
ME: “It’s Dr actually” 

What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your PhD?
I like to spend time eating and drinking with my friends and going to ice hockey matches. I’ve also started cross stitching lately which I’m really enjoying as a way to switch off. I tend to put my social things and my work things in the same calendar, so I know I’ve got time set aside for both! Also I’m very aware that if I don’t spend time doing some things for me I’ll be less effective at work.



If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your PhD what would you wish for?
A warmer lab/office! I work in an old building and although I have an office blanket and office gloves sometimes it’s just not good enough.

What would be your dream job?
I’m honestly not sure. I really want to Do Something Helpful in the world, so something where I can combine science with directly helping would be incredible.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Doing something interesting, having moved away from Sheffield for at least a little bit!

One word to sum up your future in academia:
Unwanted.

What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year?
I’d like to improve my Spanish conversation skills, and also I’d really like to start learning the flute.

What essential tool hardware/software could you not do your PhD without?
Really thin needles. I do a lot of fine dissection and even fine tweezers are too big for leaf primordia!

Who has been your academic role model/inspiration and why?
Alice Baille, who was a PhD student in my lab, now a post-doc in Bristol. She always showed us that you can have a work-life balance and still be good at what you do, and was always so generous helpful to everyone else, which is not always a trait academics have!

Where is somewhere you would like to work in the future?
I’d love to work for a charity/NGO/research institute.

Do you have a favourite organism?
I’m going to assume this can be a non-study organism, so I’m going to say highland cow. They have lovely faces which always cheers me up when my study organism is getting me down!

Are there any social interactions/meetings which have enhanced your PhD experience?
We have a group meeting every week, and there is always cake. I’m a fan of the cake.

If you could change one thing about your group/department structure what would it be?
This is more about academia generally from talking to friends, but taking mental health more seriously and having a better early support structure for it.

What major question in your subject area is yet to be addressed – why is it important and why isn’t anyone addressing it? 
I think one of the biggest problems in my field is that the legislation needs to catch up with the science. The recent EU ruling on CRISPR, for example, was a pretty big blow to plant science. No matter how much cool work we do, if it can’t ever be used in the real world that seems like a shame!


Comments