#67 Amy Gresham


This week’s PhDetails #67 is with Amy Gresham who studies at the University of Bangor. Amy told me that as someone who has always been passionate about the importance of wildlife conservation, she started my academic career knowing that she wanted to learn more about the natural world in order to do all I could to preserve it. Amy studied for a BSc in Zoology at the University of Nottingham and as part of her degree completed a field internship studying foraging cognition of wild hummingbirds in Canada, which developed her interests in research. The data for her BSc dissertation came from another field internship where she collected data on the influence of relative abundances on survival rates of Batesian models and mimics, using artificial baits offered to wild birds on the University campus. With this experience in hand, Amy decided to continue with University and studied for a MSc in Conservation & Biodiversity with the University of Exeter where she was able to travel to Africa and see the incredible megafauna there as part of a field course. Amy opted for a thesis topic which was ecologically interesting but still underpinned by conservation and had a fieldwork focus: effects of forest fragmentation on the nesting behaviour of blue tits in the French Pyrenees. On finishing my Master’s degree, Amy decided that she wanted to continue on the path of research in ecology and conservation and went on to start her current PhD looking at the effects of deer on woodland environments in North Wales.


Well let’s start off talking about completely unscientific stuff: What is your favourite band/musical artist pre 1980?
I was brought up on Fleetwood Mac and I have always loved them!

Favourite band/musical artist post 1980?
That’s a little more difficult… it’s a tie between The Killers, Barenaked Ladies and Pink.

Favourite movie?
Stardust is one of those films I can watch a hundred times and never get bored!

Do you listen to podcasts?
I don’t really do podcasts.

What about books - do you have any favourites?
I’m just finishing the last book of the “Fitz and the Fool” trilogy by Robin Hobb, all her books are awesome and I’d recommend for anyone who loves fantasy/adventure novels.

Where do you study and who are your supervisors?
I study at Bangor University in Wales, UK. My supervisors are Dr Graeme Shannon and Professor John Healey from Bangor and Dr Markus Eichhorn from University College Cork, Ireland.

What year of your PhD are you in?
First year, about nine months in. 

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long?
I am funded by a studentship from the NERC Envision Doctoral Training Partnership for 3.5 years.

Do you have any publications?
Nope.

Did you do a masters – where was it and was it about?
Yes, I did an MSc in Conservation and Biodiversity at the University of Exeter Penryn Campus in Falmouth, Cornwall.

Do you do fieldwork? What is the best fieldwork you have ever done and what made it great?
Yes, fieldwork is one of the reasons I decided ecology was for me. During my undergrad I managed to blag a place helping hummingbird researchers from the University of St Andrews on fieldwork in Alberta, Canada. I watched hummingbirds all day and we did behavioural experiments with them in the wild using feeders, it was amazing. I also went on the Kenya field course as part of my taught MSc, which was an awesome experience.


What about lab work?
I am going to do some labwork soon but I haven’t really touched a lab since undergrad so wish me luck!

How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for?
Oh, I applied for loads, I think I put in about 15 applications in total, perhaps too many… I applied to projects looking at animal behaviour / behavioural ecology with a conservation focus. I really wanted to get back into science! The project I’m on now was one of my favourites so it worked out well.

What is the most bodged piece of equipment you have had to use during field/labwork – did it work?
The equipment I have for my PhD is actually really good. The most bodged equipment I can think of are the homemade pooters I used during my Masters fieldwork (tubes that you suck insects through using your mouth). They did work, but as you can probably imagine, it is important that they are well sealed! 

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now?
This is the best piece of advice I was given when applying: ask the supervisor(s) current or past students what they are like to work with as a supervisor (in confidence). You may not know the supervisor very well at all, so get some insider knowledge so you can gauge whether you would like to work with them. It’s not full-proof but worth doing. 

How often do you meet with your supervisors?
I have meetings with my primary supervisor every two weeks, although we often talk in between as well. I meet less often with my other supervisors but they are always on the end of email and/or Skype.

What supervisor traits are important to you?
Patient, enthusiastic, imaginative, encouraging. 

What do you think would be the worst traits a supervisor could have?
Unavailable, disinterested. 

In one sentence what is your PhD about?
My PhD is focusing on the fallow deer (Dama dama) population in North Wales looking at how they influence the structure of woodland habitats through herbivory.

What has been your academic highlight of the last year?
I recently obtained a Terrestrial Laser Scanner for my woodland surveys, loaned to us by the University of Nottingham. It’s an awesome piece of kit and produces these amazing 3D images of woodlands, and it’s quite fun to survey with. I’m looking forward to playing with the data from the scans.

Have you had an academic lowpoint of the last year – if so what happened?
Not as such. My field methods are taking a while to take shape, which I wouldn’t say is a low point, but it can be a bit frustrating.

Who has been your academic role model/inspiration and why?
One of my supervisors has been with me on my academic journey since undergrad and he has given me some brilliant advice, guidance and inspiration over the years. As I’m getting to know my other supervisors, they are also both inspiring and brilliant people.  

Which academic idol/scientist have you met?
Is it bad that I don’t have an idol as such? I have met many academics who I have learned a lot from and deeply respect. One of the joys of working in science is you get to work with brilliant, intelligent and interesting people. 

Which academic idol/scientist would you most like to meet?
I would love to meet the scientists who studied the effect of reintroduced wolves on Yellowstone National Park. They showed a “trophic cascade” whereby the presence of predators altered elk foraging decisions, which relieved certain areas of grazing pressure and restored important habitat.  One of the coolest studies ever, in my opinion.

Do you have a favourite paper?
I really like the Palmer et al (2008) Science paper which reported a study looking at the effects of large herbivore exclusion on an acacia-ant mutualistic interaction in Africa. Papers looking at such complex and unexpected ecological interactions always catch my eye. 

What has been your favourite conference so far – why?
Attending the Welsh Ecology and Evolution Network (WEEN) conference in November 2018 was a great way to kick off my PhD. I presented a poster and a speed talk after only a month of being on the project, which I was quite nervous about but it was actually really enjoyable and I learned a lot from it. I also met lots of other PhD students in similar fields which was great. The conference was hosted by the Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) in Wales, the accommodation was really nice and good value, the food was great, the talks were super interesting and there was a party and pub quiz on the Saturday night. I also recently attended the Envision DTP conference in Nottingham which had some great talks, break-out sessions and food… I can’t decide!

What hours do you typically work?
I’d like to say 9 - 5, but it’s more like 10ish – 6ish with a lunch break in the middle somewhere. So far, I’m happy to admit I have not worked any weekends.

How do you avoid procrastinating?
Prioritising tasks according to when I’m most able to focus. I do more mentally demanding tasks like writing and fieldwork planning mid-morning and afternoon, and outside of those hours I do less demanding tasks like admin and email. I also allow myself to take tea breaks and a full lunch break, and I don’t work from home.


What motivates you in your day to day PhD life?
I love having a plan – if I know what I’m doing, I can happily crack on. 

What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your PhD?
Living between the mountains and the sea, I’m spoilt for choice for places to go. I love walking along the beaches and climbing up mountains, going to the climbing wall on Anglesey, going to the gym, spending time with loved ones. The PhD gets my working hours so the weekends and evenings are for me.

If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your PhD what would you wish for?
Help carry my field equipment please?

What would be your dream job?
A conservation science job where I could do research while also being directly involved with wildlife conservation efforts.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully with a finished PhD! I’d like to save up to go travelling for a bit once I have graduated, although I can see myself applying for post doc positions and getting back into science fairly quickly. 

One word to sum up your future in academia:
Exciting!

What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year?
I’d like to learn to paddle board, get better at ultimate frisbee and hike up Snowdon. 

What essential tool hardware/software could you not do your PhD without?
Mendeley! My library is a mess but without it I would be lost. 


Where is somewhere you would like to work in the future?
I’d like to apply what I’m learning in my PhD to a study system outside of the UK, not sure where yet though. It would be awesome to study an ecosystem where wolves and deer exist together.

Do you have a favourite organism?
I’ve always had a bit of an obsession with wolves, I just think they’re awesome. They are different from my study species because they would eat them for breakfast!

Are there any social interactions/meetings which have enhanced your PhD experience?
Although I’m studying animal behaviour and woodland ecology, I’m actually based in the Molecular Ecology and Fisheries Genetics Lab. The group is a lovely bunch of people and we meet up regularly on Fridays after work and have lunch together every day and seminars twice a month. There are also collaborations forming from this association… watch this space! There are also other seminar series which I have attended, including behavioural ecology and woodland discussion groups.

If you could change one thing about your group/department structure what would it be?
More integration of PhD / MRes students studying animal behaviour and conservation – there are actually quite a few of us but we are spread out across several buildings so we rarely meet.


What major question in your subject area is yet to be addressed – why is it important and why isn’t anyone addressing it? 
There seems to be a common assumption that fencing out deer is beneficial for woodlands and forests, although this is not always the case in the long-term. We need to learn how to manage deer efficiently and stop fragmenting our landscape with more and more fencing.



Comments