#70 Connor Butler


This week’s PhDetails #70 is with Connor Butler who studies at the University of Southampton. Connor is a first-year PhD student and has a background in tropical ecology and herpetology and has worked as an ecologist in Southeast Asia for four years prior to starting his PhD, primarily working for an environmental consultancy in Singapore. Connor told me that it was during this job that he became really interested in frogs and decided to pursue a PhD on the ecology of Southeast Asia's amphibians. You can also find Connor on twitter @Connorbutler and on Instagram is @Connor_the_ecologist. 

Well let’s start of talking completely unscientific stuff. Favourite band/musical artist pre 1980?
I don’t listen to much music pre-1980s, but the John William’s Star Wars soundtrack is pretty iconic.

Favourite band/musical artist post 1980?
I’m a big fan of the 90’s emo band ‘American Football’.

Favourite movie?
This isn’t a movie, but I’ve been watching the new season of Queer Eye and that’s all I care about right now. 

Do you listen to podcasts – what are some of your favourites?
I absolutely love podcasts! My regulars are ‘Ologies’ (I’m such a big fan of Alie Ward), ‘This American Life’, ‘Nancy’, and ‘Planet Money’.

Where do you study and who is your supervisor?
I’m based in England at the University of Southampton, working with Dr Kelvin Peh. Southampton is famously where the Titanic set sail from on its maiden (and final) voyage.  

What year of your PhD are you in?
First year! 

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long?
I’m funded for 3.5 years by NERC, the UK’s National Environmental Research Council. 

Do you have any publications?
I recently wrote an article on butterfly metamorphosis for a kid’s magazine – not sure of the impact factor for that one. 

Did you do a masters?
I didn’t do a masters. After I graduated from my undergraduate degree, I worked in Singapore as a biologist for a few years and used that experience to get onto my PhD program.

What is the best fieldwork you have ever done and what made it great?
I’ve been really lucky to have undertaken fieldwork in places such as Peru, Malaysia, and Indonesia, but my favourite location has been in Singapore. I spent a few years surveying the lesser-visited spots scattered around the heavily urbanised city-state. Some of the more unusual places that I’ve worked have included the gardens of the President of Singapore’s residence, and in a Universal Studios theme park, right outside the Jurassic Park ride. I can attest that being in the forest and hearing raptors adds a bit more excitement to your day.


What was your motivation for doing a PhD?
My previous job was at an environmental consultancy in Singapore, where I was overseeing environmental impact assessments in tropical forests. I really enjoyed the fieldwork, but felt that I needed to improve my scientific knowledge of study design and data analysis to be able to contribute more to the industry. I found a PhD that lined up with those needs and here I am. 

Do you have a scientific mentor who helped find the right PhD for you and get it?
No as such, but I had a few late-night beers with my pal, Leo. We brainstormed a lot of PhD ideas, which was really helpful in pinpointing exactly what I wanted to work on. 

Did you have a dream PhD?
I was lucky enough to be able to tailor the PhD to my exact interests, so on paper this is my dream PhD. Of course, times get tough and sometimes I hate everything, but I try to remind myself that I am so fortunate to be where I am. 

What aspects of the academic environment were most important for you when looking for a PhD? 
Having an inclusive and supportive working environment are important for me. A PhD is like a marathon so having a good network of colleagues to discuss problems is crucial. 

How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for?
I only applied for my current PhD. I knew the PI and it was a perfect match with my interests.

How has your PhD aligned with the expectations you had of it before you started?
I had not anticipated how long I would spend writing grant and permit applications. There are so many hurdles to jump over before you can get into the science. 

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now that you have started one?
Be kind to yourself, you are more than your PhD. 

What hours do you typically work?
I usually try to do errands in the morning and then work from 11-7pm. My peak productivity hours are usually from 5-7pm, when the office is quieter and there are fewer distractions. I’m not a morning person – thus frogs.

How do you avoid procrastinating?
I sometimes lock my phone away in my desk drawer so that it’s out of sight. Occasionally that works… 

What motivates you in your day to day PhD life?
I really enjoy talking to everyone in my office. Being surrounded by so many inspiring people all the time is a real blessing. 

What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your PhD?
I think that it’s important to have other academic interests. My side interest is British dung beetles – they are so great! I was lucky enough to spend a few months at Oxford University Museum of Natural History and I became really interested in them. Now I’m out on the weekends getting all up in that dung. 


What do you think has been the biggest difference between doing a BSc/Masters and doing your PhD?
A PhD requires a lot more self-motivation that a BSc. My motivation is generally driven by impending deadlines, so given that I now have no deadlines, I initially struggled to find motivation. I’ve now started to set myself smaller tasks and milestones to motivate myself. 

What is the most bodged piece of equipment you have had to use during fieldwork – did it work?
I am using bioacoustic methods to study amphibians. This essentially involves installing sound recorders in the rainforest and listening for frog calls. I’m using a device called ‘AudioMoth’, which was developed by a team at the University of Southampton. AudioMoth is fantastic – it’s open source, cheap, lightweight and has high acoustic acuity – however it doesn’t have a waterproof casing. To use AudioMoth in the humid rainforest, I’ve had to improvise a waterproof casing comprised of a plastic lunchbox and some tape. That is probably the most DIY piece of equipment I have, and it seems to be working well. 

How often do you meet with your supervisor?
We often meet every couple of weeks for a meeting, but often bump into each other in the kitchen whilst we make coffee. 

What supervisor traits are important to you?
I really value having a supervisor that I can talk openly with. PhDs are stressful and it’s important to tell your supervisor if you’re stressed or anxious.

What do you think are the worst supervisor traits?
I dislike when people expect you to know everything and don’t take the time to explain complex topics that they’ve spent years studying. Not all of us are experts in every field. 


In one sentence what is your PhD about?
The effect of agricultural expansion on amphibians in the montane forests of Malaysia.

What has been your academic highlight of the last year?
I attended a workshop on Bayesian statistics in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I had a really good time and met some truly inspiring biologists. 

Which academic idol/scientist have you met?
I recently met Dr Sheema Abdul Aziz, the co-founder of RIMBA – a non-profit research group undertaking conservation research in Malaysia. RIMBA is spearheading a number of crucial conservation projects in Malaysia, and I have so much admiration for their work.

Which academic idol/scientist would you most like to meet?
I follow the Australian herpetologist Dr. Jodi Rowley on twitter and she seems really cool.  

Do you have a favourite paper?
money

If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your PhD what would you wish for?
Night-vision to help me find those pesky frogs.



What would be your dream job?
One in which I get to talk about cool things. I’m getting more and more interested in science communication – mainly so that I can have an outlet for my killer puns - my partner is sick of them.  

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully in a rainforest somewhere

One word to sum up your future in academia:
Uncertain

What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year?
I’d like to get more involved with public engagement events. I have a small insect collections that I’ve been amassing over the years and I recently made a display box for public engagement. I’ve taken it to a few events and people seemed to enjoy seeing the diversity of insects within the UK. I’m hoping to continue to talk to people about science and nature.  

What essential tool hardware/software could you not do your PhD without?
A Cafetière for that morning coffee buzz.

Who has been your academic role model/inspiration and why?
I grew up watching David Attenborough and Steve Irwin documentaries. They were definitely the inspiration to pursue ecology and conservation. 

Where is somewhere specific you would like to work in the future?
I really enjoyed working in Singapore and would love to work there again after my PhD. 

Do you have a favourite organism – what is it and why – is it different from your study organism(s)?
I love Pangolins! I was fortunate enough to bump into a mother and baby Sunda Pangolin during my survey work in Singapore. It was a really special experience and I’ll never forget it. They’re such interesting and beautiful creatures, though they are sadly threatened with extinction from poaching. It’d be a tragic shame to lose them. 

Are there any social interactions/meetings which have enhanced your PhD experience?
I recently attended a ‘Diversity in STEM’ conference where I met a huge group of LGBTQ+ researchers. As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, it’s rare to be in a room where you’re not a minority, so this was an overwhelming experience. It was inclusive and there was a good discussion on challenges for LGBTQ+ researchers in science. It made me realise that I’m not alone. 

If you could change one thing about your group/department structure what would it be?
I’d like for everyone in the department to hang out more and go for a beer after work. Being open and friendly with everyone can encourage collaboration and produce better science.  

What major issue in your subject area is yet to be addressed – why is it important and why isn’t anyone addressing it?
Tropical montane forests are really important ecosystems, yet are largely understudied – with the majority of research in the tropics conducted in lowland forests. There remains a global knowledge gap on the impact of land-use change on these high-elevation forests, especially under the changing climate. We need long-term monitoring programs to study and protect these forests before they are irreversibly degraded. 


Comments