#82 Jack Beresford


This week’s PhDetails #82 is with Jack Beresford who does his PhD at the University of Helsinki. Jack studied both his undergrad & masters at the University of Sheffield up until 2016, before moving to Finland for his PhD. In his PhD, Jack studies the life history and genetics of hybridising European wood ants in populations here. These hybrids have strange genetic patterns, where hybrid queen ants are typically heterozygous for genes that have come from other species, but these same genes (alleles) can sometimes kill their male offspring. Jack told me that the story is not so simple though, and he can go on about it for hours... Jack’s PhD is about studying the consequences, life history traits, and genetic mechanisms that affect the fitness of hybridizing ants. You can find him on twitter @jberesford46!

Well let’s start off talking about completely unscientific stuff: What is your favourite band/musical artist pre 1980?
My favourite album from this period is “Even in the Quietest moments” by the frankly awesome band Supertramp. I have listened to the whole album more times than I care to remember. It’s kept me going through many evenings of writing!

Favourite band/musical artist post 1980?
Currently my favourite is the electropop band Future Islands, whose unusual sound have really hooked me. I’ve been caught a few too many times singing their songs, in the bathroom, the office... walking to work. There are a whole host of contemporary artists I love though, including Temper Trap, Stereophonics, First Aid Kit, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Tennis, Milky Chance, Mt. Joy, David Gray, Arctic Monkeys. The list goes on, I’ll stop.

Favourite movie?
Haha tough question. If I had to pick, “Brick” is one of my favourites: a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt gets embroiled in the mystery of his high-school girlfriend’s death. It’s well paced, with intrigue and space to think, it keeps you guessing to the end, and it’s a film I always come back to. If I was to also get a corny pick, I’d say Ice Age 3. That pick I will justify by saying that it has some absolutely terrible laugh out loud lines that to this day, my sister and I quote to each other. I do not care to disclose how many times I’ve watched it.

Do you listen to podcasts? 
I’ve listened to the Friday Night Comedy (Radio 4) for over a decade. I particularly remember walking home from school laughing out loud to Sandy Toksvik (the former host of the News Quiz); I must have looked like a loon to the people around me haha. I also enjoy the Life Scientific podcast, where influential scientists are interviewed by Jim Al-Kalili about their careers and how they got there. It’s fascinating to hear from some of the most influential scientific minds of our time, and hear the unique and diverse paths taken in careers.

Where do you study and who are your supervisors?
I study in The University of Helsinki, Finland. My supervisors are Jonna Kulmuni (Helsinki) and Roger Butlin (Sheffield). I met them both in Sheffield Uni before moving to Finland.

What year of your PhD are you in?
I’m just finishing my third year, and headed to my fourth. I’m planning to finish next year, scary!

A hybrid ant queen under the microscope

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long?
Currently I get my funding from the LUOVA Doctoral School in The University of Helsinki, which will be a total of 3 years until the end of 2020. Prior to that I got funding from my research groups funding (a Centre of Excellence in Biological Interactions) here in Helsinki, and a grant from a Finnish Science Foundation (Societas Pro Fauna et Flora Fennica: http://www.societasfff.fi/?lang=en).

Do you have any publications?
I have one publication where we searched for hybridizing Finnish wood ants using molecular markers across southern Finland, you can find this HERE. I’ve also just submitted my second manuscript on hybrid ant transcriptomes, where we looked for genes associated with selection and hybrid fitness, though this is currently under review.

Did you do a masters – where was it and was it about?
I did a 12 months Masters in Research at the University of Sheffield, where I started the work that I continued in my PhD. I was initially exploring mitochondrial DNA sequences of ant populations in southern Finland, which gave us some idea of what species the hybrids are forming from. I also dipped my toes into ant transcriptomics, looking for genes associated with hybrid fitness and mortality.

Do you do fieldwork? What is the best fieldwork you have ever done and what made it great?
I have done field work collecting ant samples most springs and several autumns. I have to dig into giant nests and find the queens, larvae and pupae. I’m often covered in ants who are trying their hardest to murder me. They’re irritating but you get used to it. This spring was my favourite because I had an excellent field assistant and the location by the Baltic sea has incredible scenery; lots of old forest (a rarity in Finland) and idyllic, tranquil shoreline.


What about labwork? What are the best and worst bits?
I’ve done a bit of lab work, genotyping individuals and preparing DNA for hundreds of samples. I find this can be pretty monotonous, but I do get to listen to good music at the same time, so swings and roundabouts.

How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for?
I actually have never applied for another PhD, though I considered applying to a few towards the end of my Masters. I really enjoyed my work during my masters, and I knew what I was getting into. Plus, I was offered the chance to move to Finland which sounded thrilling! So, I just jumped into it without looking back.

What is the most bodged piece of equipment you have had to use during field/labwork – did it work?
Ant researchers, like most ecologists I’m sure, are often bodging field equipment, though I’ve never really had to bodge much besides a humidifier to keep ant eggs moist. We did have a very resourceful research assistant one year who made all sorts of contraptions, my favourite was an ant vacuum device.

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now?
From my own experience and what I’ve seen of others, I would recommend that you think about what you want from a PhD before you embark upon it. I would also recommend you consider what you want from a supervisor. You will be working on your PhD with the same supervisors, through stressful and intense situations, for 3 to 4 years. If you don’t get on with your supervisors you may not enjoy your PhD at all, or even quit. I would recommend finding out about a research group you’re thinking of joining, but it depends upon you of course. For some it’s more about finding a topic you love so much that you will do it regardless, but for me, I’m curious and interested in just about everything, so that was a secondary issue.


How often do you meet with your supervisors?
It’s varied during my PhD but currently it’s once a week, every Monday, with my local supervisor (Jonna). She’s a super-hero!

What supervisor traits are important to you?
Leadership (fairness, good at compromising, delegating and instructing), communication skills, and an idea of other people’s skills. Also, I really appreciate my supervisor’s incredible gift for cutting to the essence of something; be it in a conversation, writing an application or editing a manuscript. She also has a firm grasp of the direction she’s headed, and even if we don’t know how to get there yet we can figure it out.

What do you think are the worst supervisor traits?
I’ve seen a whole spectrum of bad traits, from over-bearing to unavailable supervisors, and many other unflattering traits. I think though, that there’s often a clash of personalities and cultures that happen in science as people of all nationalities mix together.  It’s hard to get along with everyone, and it’s important to find people you want to work with in the long run. Hence, I think it’s important to think a bit about who you can and cannot work with before you embark upon a PhD. This isn’t always an option for everyone I’m sure, while to others it may not be of consequence.

In one sentence what is your PhD about?
I study the mechanisms and consequences of hybridization in naturally hybridizing European red wood ants.

A close up of the queen

What has been your academic highlight of the last year?
For me, submitting my latest manuscript. It’s been a project that I started during my masters, and it’s thrilling for me to finally submit the manuscript. Being cheeky I want to also add that last year, two of my peers and I won the Helsinki Science slam with our poem: “Let’s talk about ants” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6JkM4HUFc&t=184s).

Have you had an academic lowpoint of the last year – if so what happened?
Yes, I’ve had a few low points this year, and over the course of my PhD where I felt very demotivated and unhappy. It’s usually been because I’m stressing about projects not going to plan, having to or change on some part of my thesis, or being worried because my funding was close to an end. Lows are natural I think for almost everyone. For me, part of doing a PhD is also about learning how to deal with setbacks during a scientific career, and indeed any career. In each case I usually have sought advice from or just talked to my supervisors, friends and family, which has always helped me feel that I wasn’t alone with my worries. Sometimes though, I get handed excellent advice that really helps me. This past year was difficult because I decided with my supervisor to wrap up a project and submit without including all of the work and on a tight schedule. It was stressful, but focussing on the important things, and taking down time when I needed it really helped.

Which academic idol/scientist have you met?
I’ve met several many brilliant and determined scientists who’ve been inspirational to me on my journey thus far. Perhaps none of these are public idols per say, but the kind of every day heroes we all need. Researchers who are not only are outstanding at what they do, but strive to improve the scientific community by, for example, promoting equality in science. Off the top of my head I’d say Rhonda Snook & Corrie Moreau were two of favourite people I’ve met.

Which academic idol/scientist would you most like to meet?
There’s a whole host of people I want to meet. If I had to narrow it down though (and other than David Attenborough) I’d say it’s between Jim Al-Kalili, host of the Life Scientific podcast, and Edward Wilson, probably the foremost expert on ants. I have so many questions for them, about their work and about what lead them on their paths.

Who has been your academic role model/inspiration and why?
I would say I don’t have a single role model, but I always remember back in 2013 hearing the Life Scientific of Mark Lythgoe. In it, Mark described his difficult start getting into science: first failing to get into University after his A levels (aged 18), before finding his own path into science, and then being determined to get a PhD. Now Mark runs the largest medical imaging facility in Europe (or at least he did back then), and no one is interested in his A level grades. I was an undergrad when I heard Mark’s story, dealing with my own hardships, and his story inspired me to pursue what I love. That pursuit eventually led me to my PhD.


Do you have a favourite paper?
I honestly haven’t thought about it that much haha. Off the top of my head I’d say the review piece by Elizabeth Pennisi (2014) in Science: “Disputed Islands”. This paper gives a historical perspective of how people have regarded the genomics of speciation and adaptation along with some illustrative examples. It was a great read and helped my own thinking too.

What has been your favourite conference so far – why?
ESEB 2017 Groningen (Neatherlands): the combination of the historic city, late-night parties, wicked science and brilliant minds definitely does it for me.

What hours do you typically work?
My hours vary depending on the time of year. During the field season I can easily work a 10/12-hour day, collecting ants and then tending queens & eggs in the lab. A typical day for me in the office is 7/8 hours though. Thankfully a PhD gives you lots of flexibility with your times, and I can work the hours that suit me, and make up over-time when I need to ~ mostly haha.

How do you avoid procrastinating?
Ah the dreaded question. For me this is tied with my motivation and happiness. I’ve learnt that when I start to procrastinate, invariably something is wrong and needs addressing. Usually this happens when I’m stuck or bored, and feel like I can’t work through a problem, resulting in my idle mind procrastinating to avoid the problem. To combat this, my solutions now are to: a) find someone to help me, b) choose to work through the problem. I’m getting better at both solutions haha, and though it takes time, I find the first step is realizing that I am procrastinating and then deciding that I want to fix it.

What motivates you in your day to day PhD life?
I try to break up my long-term goals into short term, achievable tasks, that I can complete and see my progress in. Completing these gives me a sense of momentum and really keeps me motivated. More recently I’ve actually been meditating, and also changing my sleep habits to get up earlier, both of which help to keep me focused. Especially at the beginning of a week I find it’s important to complete small yet important tasks and feel like I’ve achieved something.

What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your PhD?
Sometimes I wish I was someone who could devote their entire lives to research, but for me, down time is essential, otherwise I just become bored and inefficient. So, I’ve tried out a lot of hobbies during my PhD, and my interests vary a lot. I’ve tried capoeira, running long distance, swimming, walking, reading. Currently as it’s winter in Finland, I’m into crochet, painting, learning Finnish, swimming and experimental cooking. These, plus, hanging out with some awesome local friends, who love karaoke just a smidge too much I’d say.

ant salad - they taste like pine

If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your PhD what would you wish for?
Maybe a Time-turner like Hermione has in Harry Potter, so that I can have extra time to do everything I want to. Someone has got to have said that already though, all us science nerds are the same haha. I could also wish for an endless supply of excellent coffee, and the time to drink it between my thoughts.

What would be your dream job?
I’m dreaming that someday I can be an independently funded researcher with a good program for scientific outreach, and promoting equality. Let’s see how that goes!

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Research is fun, I love asking questions, so I’d like to see myself pursuing a career in academia in 5 years, but, I’m honestly not sure. I would enjoy being a post-doc for a bit, so that I can travel and meet lots of interesting researchers before I make up my mind about where my life is headed.

What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year?
Run the Helsinki half-marathon in a better time than my last! =)

What essential tool hardware/software could you not do your PhD without?
Here I could say something about the fancy supercomputer where I analysed genomic data, but no, I want to thank the ever essential “R”, without which none of my stats would be possible. 

Where is somewhere you would like to work in the future?
I’d be up for anywhere really! I’d really like to go to the US or Canada at some point, as they have a very different system compared to Europe. In the mean-time though, I want to see how Brexit pans out. I’d like to remain a European Citizen for various reasons, in which case, I may stay in Finland a few more years in order to become a citizen here. This may not be the best time to be a travelling British scientist.


Do you have a favourite organism?
Mantis Shrimps. Not only do these slippery little cucumbers see their world in more spectra of light than almost any other animal, some species even pack the fastest punches known in the animal kingdom. For example, the peacock mantis shrimp has saddle-shaped clubs on their forelimbs, that they wind up with a spring-mechanism built into their exoskeleton. When they punch, it’s so fast an air bubble forms and pops, releasing heat, and stunning their victims. The Australians have aptly nicknamed them “thumb-splitters”. Need I say more?

Are there any social interactions/meetings which have enhanced your PhD experience?
Every year we have a PhD symposium here in Helsinki, where every PhD in the biology grad school has the chance to present their work and get feedback from the community. There are also 3 invited speakers from related fields, who come to judge the best talks and give feedback. It’s a brilliant chance to not only hone your presentation skills, but also meet the other PhDs and see what science is being done.

If you could change one thing about your group/department structure what would it be?
I would change the inter-group communication. As it is here in Helsinki, the biologists are scattered through several buildings and campuses, so a lot of the time it feels like the PhDs are the only ones who know what’s happening in the different groups. Coming together more would enable us to discuss different questions and different perspectives on our own research. From what I’ve seen, such interactions give top researchers a dynamic edge, and shares novel ideas between different fields of research.

What major question in your subject area is yet to be addressed – why is it important and why isn’t anyone addressing it? 
Put simply, I want to know how hybridization will affect the future of the species on our planet. A more complex breakdown of this idea is rooted in how new species emerge and adapt to their environments, the fundamental question of evolution. Though you might think this process takes thousands of years, on a scale beyond that of a human lifetime, we can see it happening before our eyes. We know that natural selection (survival of the fittest) can act only on standing genetic variation with a population, i.e. you need genetic variation for there to be selection on variants. However, hybridization recombines the genomes of diverging species, creating gene flow and introducing novel genetic variation, upon which natural selection can act. As we are now realizing, hybridization is ubiquitous in nature, hence its study is important for understanding species and biodiversity etc, that are vital for conservation. We also know that species are moving, shifting in response to climate change and human influence. As species move, they come into contact with other, closely related species, with which they might hybridize, much like humans moving out of Africa, and hybridizing with Neanderthals, and the other species. We know for example, that modern Tibetan human populations have denizovan DNA from ancient hybridization events, from which they have inherited genes adaptive to their high-elevation. Essentially, I want to know if we can predict the outcomes of hybridization, and its consequences for current species. This isn’t being studied right now because a) it’s insanely ambitious, we need to develop the methods and ideas first, b) we haven’t yet integrated these fields together, though this is starting to happen as people think about reintroducing species, and studying populations of declining species. For an example see this news article and the linked paper, discussing population crashes in wolves re-introduced to a remote island: https://phys.org/news/2019-05-genomics-isle-royale-wolves-reveal.html.

Comments