#89 Lauren Moore


This week’s PhDetails is with Lauren Moore who currently does her PhD at Nottingham Trent University in the UK. Lauren completed her undergraduate degree at the University of Salford, Manchester, from 2013 - 2017 in Wildlife Conservation with Zoo Biology (with Professional Experience), which she told me was a truly brilliant course. As part of her BSc she undertook a placement year; this including working for six months as a research assistant in the Brazilian Atlantic rainforest studying the southern muriqui (Brachyteles arachnoides), three months as as assistant ranger for the Scottish Wildlife Trust in a stunning valley woodland in Lanarkshire. This was followed by working with a research team in Poland to track the migration of birds by mist netting and ringing individuals. Lauren’s BSc thesis investigated the phylogeography of the great white-toothed shrew (Crocidura russula) using ancient DNA. Her undergraduate degree was immediately followed by moving to the University of Oxford to study a Masters degree in Biodiversity, Conservation and Management, whilst volunteering at the local Environmental Records Centre. This degree involved presenting her work to WWF and conducting incredible fieldwork in Madagascar on the sensitivity of bird communities to habitat change. Since then, Lauren has worked for the RSPB in a public education role and as an Ecologist for a consultancy in Cambridge - gaining a wide range of conservation work! Since 2012, she has been an Ambassador of the Cat Survival Trust in Hertfordshire, a sanctuary completely run by volunteers that looks after big cats, from jaguars, pumas to snow leopards, whilst also managing a reserve in Argentina. You can find Lauren on Twitter @L_J_Moore!


What is your favourite band/musical artist pre 1980? 
It has to be a toss-up between two legends: Elvis and Elton John. Cliché I know!

Favourite band/musical artist post 1980? 
That’s a difficult one, but I would have to say Frank Turner (and the Sleeping Souls)

Favourite movie? 
Undoubtedly, it’s Without a Paddle for its non-stop adventure and humour. 

Do you listen to podcasts? 
There are too many to mention, but I am always drawn to Radio Lab, or often the RSPB podcasts for some easy-listening. 

Where do you study and who are your supervisors? 
I currently study at Nottingham Trent University, UK, and work in a big team made up of six supervisors from four different universities!

What year of your PhD are you in? 
I’m in my first year, I started in October 2019.

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long? 
I have funding for my PhD for three years, which is part-funded by Nottingham Trent University and part-funded by the People’s Trust for Endangered Species (PTES)

Do you have any publications? 
Yes, I previously worked on a really exciting project on the North Atlantic Sebastes, a commercially important species also known as redfish. We used a molecular approach to evaluate current genetic databases and identify which species of redfish were being sold – and potentially mislabelled – by European retailers. Shum et al. (2017)

Did you do a masters – where was it and was it about? 
Yes, I completed a Master’s degree at the University of Oxford titled Biodiversity, Conservation and Management. This course was focused on the inter-disciplinary nature of conservation and taught us how to collate aspects from a variety of different fields to maximise the success and longevity of our conservation projects. I had lectures on environmental economics, ethics and politics, conservation biogeography, systematic conservation planning and so much more! I loved every second. 

Do you do fieldwork? What is the best fieldwork you have ever done and what made it great? 
I’m always planning my next fieldwork expedition and I’ve been incredibly lucky to research species and habitats around the world, from the Polish Baltic coast to the Brazilian Amazon! I’ve loved all of my fieldwork and I honestly couldn’t choose ‘the best’, but my time spent conducting bird, mammal, herpetofauna and invertebrate surveys in the dry forests of North West Madagascar is definitely near the top. What made this fieldwork special was that our research team was part of the community; we had local people as guides, students from the local universities to assist with the surveys and we were immersed in their traditions, such as Independence Day (their biggest celebration of the year!). My morning alarm clock was calls from lemurs and I gained a rare and privileged insight into an ecosystem that had been isolated for approximately 88 million years. 


How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for? 
I was very lucky that the right PhD for me came about when I started looking. It was vital for me that my project focused on mammals – the smaller the better - and that it was applied conservation science. Lastly, I wanted to have a strong fieldwork element as I’m never happier than when outside, whatever the weather!  

What is the most bodged piece of equipment you have had to use during field/labwork – did it work?
I’m forever finding the cost-effective versions of equipment and making them myself. For example, we made a densitometer to estimate canopy cover in Madagascar out of a CD slide and permanent marker – it worked a treat!

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now? 
My one piece of advice would be not to rush into a project that you are not certain is right for you. It should be a project that really excites you and that there are opportunities to learn new and relevant skills. It is much better to wait for the right project to come up – or even to design one yourself – than jump for a project that only ticks half of the boxes for you. PhDs are a marathon and we need endurance to get to the viva – our passion for the subject is what keeps us going. 

How often do you meet with your supervisors? 
It can really vary depending on our workloads, but it’s often between every 3-4 weeks. 

In one sentence what is your PhD about? 
My PhD is looking at the impacts of roads on hedgehogs (Erinaceus europaeus) in the UK and to investigate the most appropriate mitigation measures to protect populations in road-dominated environments.  

What has been your academic highlight of the last year? 
Getting offered my PhD was undoubtedly the biggest academic highlight of the last year – of all of my years really! I feel like I’ve hit the jackpot with this project; it combines many of my academic interests and allows me to work with some brilliant collaborators. 

Have you had an academic lowpoint of the last year – if so what happened? 
No academic lowpoints yet (touchwood!).

Which academic idol/scientist have you met? 
In 2017, I received an award from Jane Goodall’s Roots and Shoots Foundation Trust and for this, I was very privileged to present my work to Dr Goodall herself.

Which academic idol/scientist would you most like to meet? 
That’s a really difficult one but as experts in the field of road ecology, Marcel Huijser and Anthony Clevenger immediately come to mind. 

Who has been your academic role model/inspiration and why? 
My academic inspiration has always been Dr K. M. Moore (who also happens to be my dad!). He has made some brilliant contributions to biochemistry and always talks about science with such passion and enthusiasm. 

Do you have a favourite paper? 
I couldn’t possibly choose one favourite paper, I find new and amazing papers on a weekly basis! 

What has been your favourite conference so far – why? 
I’ve been to many amazing conferences so far which have been full of fascinating speakers and welcoming delegates, such as the British Ecological Society annual conference and the Mammal Society conference. 

What hours do you typically work? 
The diversity of work within my PhD doesn’t lend itself to a strict schedule, so I couldn’t say I have any ‘typical hours’ at all!

How do you avoid procrastinating? 
I write to-do list after to-do list after to-do list! I always make a note of what I want to achieve each day and it keeps me focused on the task at hand. 

What motivates you in your day to day PhD life? 
I am motivated by a handful of things! More than anything, however, I’m really motivated by the applied nature of my work. The research outcomes of my project will hopefully feed into vital, on-the-ground conservation action for an iconic, loved but declining species. Being surrounded by a great PhD cohort definitely makes my day-to-day life extra enjoyable too!


What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your PhD? 
When I’m not working, I try to get as much distance from a computer screen as possible. This takes me to a climbing wall, a dance class or out in a nature reserve. Having weekends to see my friends around the UK are always a priority for my free time. 

If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your PhD what would you wish for? 
My PhD involves a lot of laboratory work using DNA profiling techniques and this will be trying some novel, as well as established, techniques for hedgehogs. So I would kindly ask the genie to grant me some smooth molecular analysis!

What would be your dream job? 
My dream job would be anything that involves researching and conserving wildlife, that involves getting outside at least some of the year and that allows me to work with a wide range of people and stakeholders, from academics to NGOs to local communities. I feel that working with a mix of partners is really important to make successful and long-lasting conservation action.  

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 
Hopefully with a PhD thesis on my bookshelf! If I’m lucky, working on a post-doc on mammals, sharing my knowledge others or working in applied conservation science!

One word to sum up your future in academia: Exciting! 

What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year? 
Over the coming year, I would love to improve my Spanish skills and travel somewhere to put them to good use!

What essential tool hardware/software could you not do your PhD without? 
There are many, from GPS/VHF tags to camera traps and GIS to R. 

Where is somewhere you would like to work in the future? 
I’d be very interested in exploring New Zealand. Whether it’s the exquisite landscapes or the climate similar to the UK, I would love to work on the islands. After my work on hedgehogs, it would be great to see their spikey equivalent, the echidna!

Do you have a favourite organism ? 
I definitely couldn’t pick a favourite organism but, more broadly, small mammals are my favourite. They have pivotal roles in maintaining food chains and their elusive nature means that we know little about their everyday lives. Unfortunately, many decline in silence amid the press on larger, charismatic species (which, of course, also deserve the coverage!). 

Are there any meetings which have enhanced your PhD experience?
One of the first socials at the British Ecological Society (BES) conference in Belfast in December 2019 was an ice breaker event for ‘freshers’, i.e. those who has never been to a BES conference before. It was a really great evening to get to know other students in the same position. We not only spent time together throughout the conference but still keep in touch months afterwards!

If you could change one thing about your group/department structure what would it be? 
I’ve only been there for a few months but so far, so good!

What major question in your subject area is yet to be addressed – why is it important and why isn’t anyone addressing it? 
In general, I would love to see the field of road ecology developed even further. It has a fantastic track record in driving (pun intended) and consolidating research on the ecological impacts of roads, but there are many inter-disciplinary avenues that the field can pursue.

Comments