#96 Amy Jackson

This week's PhDetails is #96 with Amy Jackson who studies the adaptation and diversification of island plants at the University of Southampton and the Natural History Museum. Amy started out doing an BSc in Zoology at the University of Leeds, which was followed by an MSc in Ecology, Evolution and Conservation at Imperial College. Amy told me that her research interests generally encompass genomics, adaptation, speciation and biogeography and you can find her on twitter @amycjack!

Well let’s start off talking about completely unscientific stuff: What is your favourite band/musical artist pre 1980?
Fleetwood Mac

Favourite band/musical artist post 1980?
As you are well aware, Rishi, that would be Taylor Swift. However, currently I’m listening to Four Tet and Dua Lipa new albums.

Favourite movie?
Mrs. Doubtfire and Commando (But also any other ‘80s action film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger)

Do you listen to podcasts? What are some of your favourites?
I love podcasts. I usually listen to the Guardian’s Today in Focus in the mornings when I’m getting ready for work. My weekly listening typically includes, Off Menu, Friday Night Comedy, and More or Less: Behind the Statistics. Some great series in past have been The Drop Out, Dirty John, and Serial.

Where do you study and who are your supervisors?
University of Southampton and Natural History Museum, with Mark Chapman (UoS) and Mark Carine (NHM). I spent the first year of my PhD at the NHM and recently move to Southampton where I will spend the rest of my time.

What year of your PhD are you in?
Second year.

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long?
3.5 years of funding by NERC through the SPITFIRE DTP

Do you have any publications?
A paper came out from my master’s thesis, which looked at the population genetics of the calcifying red algae Corallina offcinialis.

Did you do a masters – where was it and was it about?
Yes, I did MSc Ecology, Evolution and Conservation at Imperial College (Silwood Park).

Do you do fieldwork? What is the best fieldwork you have ever done and what made it great?
I had very limited experience with fieldwork until my PhD. I did a collection trip last year in May in the Canary Islands. I spent two weeks collecting leaf material and seed for seven species of Descurainia across four islands. Though the days were long and stressful, the good weather and food (and wine) made up for it. I only get to go once though, as I predominantly do a desk-based PhD but I’d love to visit the rest of the Macaronesian islands on day…


Do you do labwork too?
So far, I’ve just done DNA extractions to send off for whole-genome sequencing and resequencing, and even that is enough for me. Lab work requires precision and patience, neither of which I have.

How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for?
I applied to four, mostly centred around topics in adaptation and speciation. I was aiming for a PhD that used a wild study system to address these topics, and a chance to expand my bioinformatics and coding skills. Ended up accepting this at the UoS with the SPITFIRE DTP as it covered my most key criteria I was looking for. The SPITFIRE DTP also offers the opportunity to undertake funded international and UK placements, which is an added bonus!


What is the most bodged piece of equipment you have had to use during field/labwork – did it work?
My fieldwork involved just collecting plants for DNA, so mostly only needed a good pair of walking boots and secateurs – nothing fancy.

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now?
Most people will spend four years of their life doing a PhD, so try to find a good supportive network of friends. This would make your time a lot more enjoyable.

How often do you meet with your supervisors?
Currently, once a week with my Southampton supervisor, and once a month with my NHM supervisor.

What supervisor traits are important to you?
Patience

What do you think are the worst supervisor traits?
Abusive behaviour and arrogance.

In one sentence what is your PhD about?
Using genomics to understand the diversification and adaptation of the Canary Island Descurainia.


What has been your academic highlight of the last year?
This would be going on fieldwork to the Canary Islands last year. It was my first fieldwork experience and it was great to see my study system, and the other endemics plants, in the wild.

Have you had an academic lowpoint of the last year – if so what happened?
Well, I think COVID-19 is going to have to take that crown. Luckily, my PhD is predominantly desk-based, so there has been somewhat limited disruption. However, trying to effectively work on your PhD during a global pandemic and with the country currently under lockdown has been mentally challenging.

Which academic idol/scientist have you met?
I haven’t met any.

Which academic idol/scientist would you most like to meet?
I’d love to meet Chris Packham. I really admire him, as he is one of few high-profile people in the media who are raising awareness and actively campaigning the ecological /conservation issues here in the, from high-intensity farming to illegal bird shooting.

Who has been your academic role model/inspiration and why?
No specific person. Although, throughout my academic career, it was always been my friends within academia who have inspired to peruse things I never thought of doing or be able to accomplish. So shout out to them!

What has been your favourite conference so far – why?
I haven’t been to many conferences, mostly just student conferences. However, these are always great fun and a nice relaxed atmosphere to practice presentations/posters.

What hours do you typically work?
I normally work typical working hours, 9-5/6.

How do you avoid procrastinating?
 I tend to switch between tasks to keep me entertained. Although, because of this, things will go unfinished from time to time…

What motivates you in your day to day PhD life?
I try to treat it as a job, working 9-5 and switch off when you get home and on weekends. This has (so far) retained my enthusiasm for doing a PhD.

What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your PhD?
Living in London last year was great as there was so much to do to fill your free time, with easy access to the theatre, museums and parks. Southampton doesn’t hold the same charisma as London, and is a bit of a cultural back hole. Nevertheless, there are three Wetherspoons and a Roman wall, so there’s that. 

If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your PhD what would you wish for?
For someone to do my wet lab work for me.

What would be your dream job?
Not sure, maybe see below?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully still within academia, doing a postdoc on a sunny oceanic islands somewhere.

One word to sum up your future in academia:
Bleak

What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year?
Run a half marathon, I think.

What essential tool hardware/software could you not do your PhD without?
R is the most obvious choice, but honourable mentions are Adobe Illustrator to help make prettier graphs, Notepad++ for general bioinfo note taking, and Zotero for being a great open-source referencing software.

Where is somewhere you would like to work in the future?
New Zealand! I was suppose to undertake a three-month placement a VUW this summer, doing some research on (more) island plants. This unfortunately has been postponed due to corona. Hopefully next year…

Do you have a favourite organism?
Dogs - they’re a lot more fluffy and loveable than my study plants are.

Are there any social interactions/meetings which have enhanced your PhD experience?
Something I miss most about being at the NHM is their weekly Life Science seminars and monthly social seminar.

If you could change one thing about your group/department structure what would it be?
I would love to change from the open plan format to PhD offices. Open plan is just too distracting!

What major question in your subject area is yet to be addressed – why is it important and why isn’t anyone addressing it? 
I’d love to do a study on the effect of different climatic environments on the rate of speciation for endemic island flora, but the ecological data would be difficult to obtain.

Comments