#16 Katja Kozjek


This weeks PhDetails is with Katja Kozjek a PhD student in Lund, Sweden. Katja is originally from Slovenia and got her Batchelor’s degree from the University of Ljubljana in Slovenia studying microbiology before following up with a Master’s degree from the University of Innsbruck, Austria. It was after her time in the Microbial Resource Management group she considered doing a PhD. In 2017 she accepted her current PhD in Lund studying the functional diversity of microorganisms in soils, identifying the key microbial actors in carbon cycling in agriculture under climate change. Katja continues to enjoy her project despite its challenging aspects. 

Favourite band/musical artist pre and post 1980?
Actually I do not have a favourite band/musical artist. Usually I listen to random playlists on Spotify or podcasts. I am a huge podcasts fan! 

What kind of podcasts do you like?
I like listening to those with different topics, science/research related, life of PhD students, modern technology (safety on the internet, social networks, phones, computers), Slovenians living abroad, etc. Many of them are actually in Slovenian.

Where do you study and who is/are your supervisor(s)?
Since June 2017 I am a PhD student at Lund University (Sweden), Department of Biology in the research group Soil Ecology. My main supervisor is Katarina Hedlund, moreover I have two co-supervisors, Dag Ahrén and Pål Axel Olsson. 

What year of your PhD are you in?
Just started my second year. 

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long?
 For four years I am getting salary from Lund University. My project is founded by the BiodivERsA project (SOILCLIM- Managing soil biodiversity and ecosystem services in agroecosystems across Europe under climate change). 

Do you have any publications – if so where?
Not yet. 

Did you do a masters - was it about?
Yes, I did my masters at the Institute of Microbiology, University of Innsbruck (Austria). Main objective of my master thesis was anaerobic digestion of organic wastes and consequently biogas production. Batch-operated biogas reactors were filled with lignocellulosic biomass material and two co-substrates, cattle manure and rumen fluid. I was mainly interested in the diversity, interactions and growth dynamics of different microbial groups inside the bioreactors. 

What is the best fieldwork you have ever done and what made it great?
Fieldwork that I am doing right now! It is actually my first real fieldwork experience. It is taking place in the southern part of Sweden (Scania region), on the agricultural fields (winter wheat). We are collecting soil samples, determining vegetation structure, biomass, measuring soil and air temperature, and much more. The best part of it is being outside! It is great to change the working environment (lab work, coding, writing etc.) for a couple of days. 
What was your motivation for doing a PhD?
When I started with my studies I was not so interested in science and research, however this changed when I started with my masters. During my master thesis I started enjoying the research, got very into science. It was great to see the results after many attempts, or just find the way how to create some nice plots in R, etc. It came very spontaneously and I decided to apply. 

Do you have a scientific mentor who helped find the right PhD for you and get it?
No. But, I got some useful advices from the research group where I did my masters. For example: where to look for positions, what is important when applying for PhD… 

Did you have a dream PhD?
 No. I aimed for the position where I would be able to perform dry and wet lab and get to know more about microbial diversity. An environmental niche (soil, food, water, etc.) where microbes are present was not of primary importance. Furthermore, I wanted to gain new knowledge, especially in the field of bioinformatics. 

What aspects of the academic environment were most important for you when looking for a PhD? 
Speaking for myself the most important aspects in the academic environment I was looking for were a positive atmosphere, good communication with supervisors and co-workers, to be able to realise your own ideas and have a support within a research group, especially from supervisors. 

How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for? 
In total, three. Mainly I was looking for an interesting project, where it would be possible to learn something new and where both sides (me and research group) would have a benefit. 

How has your PhD aligned with the expectations you had of it before you started? 
Honestly, I did not have any special expectations. Just to be satisfied at work, to enjoy the research. Besides scientific expectation, non-scientific expectations were linked with social interactions and to find a time and place for all my hobbies. 

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now that you have started one? 
If you are interested in science, research and would like to dig dipper then go for it! Besides an interesting project, positive working environment, relationship with the supervisor and co-workers are even more important. 

What hours do you typically work?
Depends, mainly on deadlines, lab work or even time of the year (winter, summer), but usually from 8:00/8:30 to 17:00/17:30. Sometimes I finish earlier, then I take a break to do some sport and work in the evening for another hour or two. 

What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your PhD?
Sport, nature! These are definitely two very important things how I am balancing my work and private life. I really enjoy running, cycling, climbing, hiking, spending time in the nature. Meeting friends, baking, listening podcasts… Having hobbies and being active are crucial things not to think about work all the time, especially weekends. 
What supervisor traits are important to you?
To offer the support, give advices, listen and allow me to develop and realise my own ideas.  Trust, loyalty, enthusiasms are also important. One important trait of supervisor, that can help us to become better researcher, is to give a constructive feedback about our work.  

What do you think are the worst supervisor traits?
Not being supportive, flexible. 

In one sentence what is your PhD about?
Genetic functional diversity of microorganisms (bacteria, archaea, fungi, protists) in agricultural soils. Super exciting!

What has been your academic highlight of the last year?
I survived the first year, met some amazing people, from researchers to PhD students, post-docs. Attend some interesting workshops, where I got new ideas and motivation for upcoming work. 

Do you have a favourite paper? 
No, it is difficult to choose only one. 

If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your PhD what would you wish for?
To solve all bioinformatics problems, and immediately find a solution when I am struggling with different commands. 

What would be your dream job? 
Right now I am having a dream job! In general, I do not have special dreams. I want to do something that I really like, have a positive working environment and good relationship with co-workers. Furthermore, to have a possibility for a good career-private life balance. 

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Previous experiences have taught me, not to plan too much in advance. Right now I am open for everything, let’s see what the future brings.  

One word to sum up your future in academia:
Unpredictable 

What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year?
To run and cycle more, and potentially beat my personal best in half marathon, which is 90 minutes. Keep learning Swedish and be able to speak at least a little bit. 
What essential tool hardware/software could you not do your PhD without?
R, UNIX. 

Who has been your academic role model/inspiration and why?
So far supervisor of my master thesis. She is a good example of a passionate researcher, but on the other side she knows how to balance career and private life. She actually inspired me for research and why is it worth to do PhD. 

Where is somewhere specific you would like to work in the future? (country or institute)
Germany or Austria. 

What motivates you in your day to day PhD life?
To gain new knowledge, to complete an experiment and see if it worked or failed, to see some exciting results. To build a mosaic from small pieces and finally get a complete picture. 

How often do you meet with your supervisor(s)?
Depends, but usually at least once per week. These are not very formal meetings, but more coffee breaks. More or less I am meeting with my supervisors according to needs. 

Are there any social interactions/meetings which have enhanced your PhD experience e.g. social seminars/group meetings?
Yes, definitely. For example, different research schools, seminars in the department, journal clubs, courses (domestic and international). 


Comments