#56 Miguel Cueva


This week’s PhDetails is with Miguel Cueva. Miguel grew up between Austin, Texas, USA and Mexico, where he did his undergraduate degree in Biotech Engineering. He then moved to the UK and did his Masters degree in Edinburgh. Miguel then stayed in Edinburgh to start his PhD where he was able to focus on his main interests: synthetic biology and biotechnology whilst studying nanoparticle synthesis by non-model organisms. You can also find Miguel on Twitter @mcueva89!

Well let’s start off talking about completely unscientific stuff: What is your favourite band/musical artist pre 1980?
I certainly was not expecting this question. Had to open Spotify to verify if they are pre 1980s. But I love to rock to Fleetwood Mack and Stevie Nicks, although she is more of an early 1980 rock artist, but an original member of Fleetwood Mack 

Favourite band/musical artist post 1980?
I am obsessed with synthpop, music and artist with a heavy 80s synth pop influence. I love CHVRCHES, Passion Pit and Vampire Weekend. 

Favourite movie?
All time favourite film is ‘The Perks of being a Wallflower’
Favourite comedy-drama is ‘The Devil Wears Prada’
Favourite horror – ‘Carrie’

Do you listen to podcasts?
I do listen to podcasts. Very often, usually when I am working out or out for a run. My favourite podcasts are: ‘Homophilia’, ‘Ologies’, ‘The Love Bomb’, ‘RadioLab’

Where do you study and who is your supervisor?
I am studying at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. 
My supervisor is Dr Louise Horsfall, from Synthsys, CSEC, and School of Biological Sciences

What year of your PhD are you in?
Final Year. 4th Year. 
I am currently finishing up my PhD, just finished writing the first draft of my thesis. 

Who’s giving you the money – and for how long?
CONACyT (Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia) and the University of Edinburgh. Funding for four years. 

Do you have any publications?
Written two articles:
1. The contribution of microbially produced nanoparticles to sustainable development goals, Microbial Biotechnology, 2017
2. 3rd Congress on Applied Synthetic Biology in Europe (Costa da Caparica, Portugal, February 2016), New Biotechnology, 2016

Did you do a masters – where was it and was it about?
Yes, I did. MSc Biotechnology at the University of Edinburgh. 

Do you do fieldwork? 
No. In my area of expertise we do not do field work. But I can imagine it would be a great experience. 

Wha are the best and worst bits about your labwork?
The repetitiveness. The lack of reproducibility, when you work in molecular biology its hard to replicate experiments and get the same results, its like the microbes know I need them to get me the same results but they decide to behave totally different. The best part of labwork is the planning of experiments, is a very creative process, which I thoroughly enjoy. 

How many PhDs did you apply for – what were you looking for?
I applied to 3 different posts. All post where in Synthetic Biology. But in different areas of synthetic biology, first one which I did not get was with engineering recombinases, second was about logic gate genetic circuit designs and final one the one I chose to take was to design and engineering genetic tools. 

What is the most temperamental piece of equipment you have had to use during labwork?
Gel Dock, it worked most of the time. But a colleague eventually fried it haha. We had to buy a new one. It was completely out of commission. 

What one piece of advice would you give to a masters student applying to PhDs now?
Apply for PhD positions that are well funded and come with a caveat to do an internship. Specially if you want work outside academia or get a glimpse of how industry works, it’s a great and invaluable opportunity.  


How often do you meet with your supervisor? 
At least once a month, and weekly lab meetings. 

What supervisor traits are important to you?
Reliable. Definitely they have to be reliable. Be able to teach and mentor. Try to guide you without being overbearing or bossy. Ultimately its your PhD not theirs, so you should decide what to do, even if that means not following their advice. 

What do you think are the worst supervisor traits?
An overbearing supervisor, which gives the sense of mistrust.  You gain a PhD you must be able to think and make decisions on your own. You supervisor wont be there after you graduate. 

In one sentence what is your PhD about?
Design and engineering genetic tools for non-model organism to tailor nanoparticle synthesis. 

What has been your academic highlight of the last year?
I had the opportunity to give a talk about my research at an international conference in Toulouse, France. It was exhilarating. Being able to reach as many people about your research, get experts in the area interest on you work. 

Have you had an academic lowpoint of the last year – if so what happened?
Yes. I had plans to have certain results to present at this international conference. But something went wrong and I wasn’t able to get the results in time. Had to omit them and carry on. I would not say it was embarrassing, I but I felt defeated. But overall everything went alright and people were engaged with my talk.

Which academic idol/scientist have you met?
I don’t think I have a scientific idol. If so I haven’t met him or her. 

Which academic idol/scientist would you most like to meet?
I admire Jay Keasling, UC Berkeley Professor and the foremost scientist in synthetic biology. But I haven’t had the pleasure to meet him.

Do you have a favourite paper?
Yes. My favourite paper, one that I come back re-read and cite often is: ‘CIDAR MoClo: Improved MoClo Assembly Standard and New E. coli Part Library Enable Rapid Combinatorial Design for Synthetic and Traditional Biology’ by Iverson et al 

What has been your favourite conference so far – why?
Definitely the one I gave a talk at. EuSynBios Symposium in Toulouse, 2018. This conference is special, it is organised and run by PhD and Posdoctoral researchers. I’ve been attending their annual symposium for the past couple of year and its nice to see familiar faces. 

What hours do you typically work?
Typically work between 9 am – 5 pm.  Give or take, mostly take. 

How do you avoid procrastinating?
I write a daily To Do List. Try to stick to it, and focus on the immediate tasks. 

What motivates you in your day to day PhD life?
I am mostly motivated to finish my PhD. Get that diploma. The prospects of a better job, a better life. 

What do you do when you’re not working – how do you balance it with your PhD?
Every Wednesday I practice yoga at a yoga studio. Also try to go to the gym and workout at least 2 -3 times a week. Sporadically go for a run. Also, I got to the cinema as often as possible, I am a true movie/cinema buff.

If a genie could grant you one wish to help with your PhD what would you wish for?
More luck! Ultimately, science like biology and molecular biology is not very exact and for the most times experiments are hard to reproduce. With luck on your side, you can be certain that you will get the results you want and need.  

What would be your dream job?
Currently I am working on that. I would like to work in the biotechnology industry, within their marketing and sales area. I really enjoy interacting with people, explaining science, do science communication, and create original social media content, write and such. It is my favourite part of doing a PhD, getting to know people in a diverse area of expertise. 

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Happy and employed. I do not know what the future holds for me, but I do want to be happy with a secure job, savings, continue traveling, reading and writing. Always surrounded with great friends, family and hopefully a partner.

One word to sum up your future in academia:
Writing. Not much of a future in academia. I am not cut out for it. So I will be writing research papers to publish. 


What do you want to achieve outside of academia in the coming year?
Find a great job within the biotechnology industry. 

What essential tool hardware/software could you not do your PhD without?
Sigmaplot and twitter. 

Who has been your academic role model/inspiration and why?
I would like to mention my entire thesis committee. 
Dr Louise Horsfall (Main Supervisor)
Prof Chris French (2nd Supervisor)
Dr Andrew Free (3rd Supervisor)
Dr David Clarke (4th Supervisor)
I think they have all shaped me as a scientist and as a researcher. I get inspired by Dr Louise Horsfall to triumph as a minority. She is always advocating equality in STEM, and wants to change the current dynamics in academia. She wants to champion and mentor minorities. Prof Chris French is a genius. Whenever I have any doubts or need help with more technical issue, his advice is very illuminating. 

Where is somewhere you would like to work in the future?
USA, I miss my home to be honest. Need to move back to America.

Do you have a favourite organism – what is it and why – is it different from your study organism(s)?
Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. It is single-cell green algae. Never worked with it. But I have engineered a fluorescent reporter protein obtained from this organism. Its so interesting that microalgae, make the brightest fluorescent proteins known to men that work under anaerobic conditions. 

Are there any social interactions/meetings which have enhanced your PhD experience e.g. social seminars/group meetings?
I really enjoy social media engagement. I have met so many scientist and research through social media. It’s a great way to communicate your research and to reach people around the world. 

If you could change one thing about your group/department structure what would it be?
I would advise to have LGBTQ+ STEM associations or any kind of LGBTQ+ representation, clubs, at a PhD level. It is very isolating being the only LGBTQ+ person working in the building. It will help other LGBTQ+ PhD students to make friends from our community. 

What major question in your subject area is yet to be addressed – why is it important and why isn’t anyone addressing it? 
The ability to tailor heavy metal nanoparticles using microorganisms. They mostly synthesise nanoparticles of different sizes, but we need them to be of the same or similar size. 
It is important, because once this is achieve it will be easier to compete with the chemically synthesis heavy metal nanoparticles. Everyone is addressing it. It is still on going. It has been attempted but for certain metals, but not for the ones I work with. Platinum and palladium.  

Comments